Approximately 178 million Americans are missing at least one tooth while 40 million are missing all of their teeth. Even celebrities aren’t exempt from these climbing numbers. Fortunately, modern dental technology offers numerous options to replace missing teeth. Dental implants have become a preferred choice by dentists and patients alike, including some of your favorite stars. Read on to learn more about dental implants, their benefits, and some A-listers who have them.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a metal, screwlike post that replaces the natural root of the tooth. The implant is placed directly into the jawbone where it fuses in a process called osseointegration. A natural-looking crown is placed on the end of the implant. In the end, implants restore the function and appearance of your smile.
How Are Dental Implants Beneficial?
- Restore Chewing Ability: If you’re missing teeth, eating some of your favorite foods can be difficult. Because dental implants restore up to 90% on your natural chewing power, you won’t have any eating restrictions once they have fully healed.
- Improved Appearance: The crowns that are placed on the end of dental implants are custom-made to be the exact size, shape, and color needed to blend in perfectly with the rest of your smile. No one will even know that they aren’t your real teeth unless you tell them.
- Prevent Bone Loss: When you are missing one or more teeth, your jawbone will begin to be reabsorbed which leads to other issues in the future. This happens because the bone is not being stimulated by regular chewing. Implants are the only tooth replacement option out there that replace the missing root of the tooth, therefore preventing further deterioration of the jawbone.
Which Stars Have Dental Implants?
Quite a few stars have dental implants. Here are just a small handful of them:
- Mike Tyson: Due to his boxing career, Tyson ended up with missing teeth. He has had them replaced with dental implants.
- Christie Brinkley: After a helicopter crash that left her with two broken molars, Brinkley had a couple implants fill the gaps.
- Ed Helms: Do you remember that scene from “The Hangover” when Helms was missing his front tooth? It looked so realistic because he actually is missing his natural tooth in that spot. For filming, he had his crown removed from his dental implant.
- Chris Rock: Because he had some dental issues as a child, he can now credit his smile to dental implants.
If you have missing teeth, just like these celebrities, you aren’t alone. Ask your dentist if you would make a good candidate for implants. You will have your smile back in no time!
About the Author
Dr. Matthew Nawrocki earned his Doctor of Dental Medicine from the University of Florida College of Dentistry before completing a one-year fellowship in prosthodontics. He is involved in the Florida Prosthodontic Association, American College of Prosthodontics, Florida Dental Association, and the American Dental Association. For more information on dental implants or to schedule a consultation at his office in Orange Park, visit his website or call (904) 272-1588.