Dental Bridges – Orange Park, FL
Popular Restorative Solution for Missing Teeth
Missing one or more missing teeth can negatively affect your dental function while also being a drag on your self-confidence. Fortunately, there is no need to carry on with a noticeable dental gap in your smile. At the office of Dr. Matthew Nawrocki in Orange Park, we can replace missing teeth with a beautiful, high-quality dental bridge. Modern dental bridges blend in seamlessly with a patient’s natural smile while restoring their ability to speak, eat and laugh with confidence.
What Is a Fixed Bridge?
A fixed bridge is a common dental prosthesis that can replace one to three consecutive missing teeth and restore dental function and appearance. It consists of three basic units: a false tooth (called a pontic) that rests in between two abutment crowns. The two abutment crowns are placed atop the two remaining healthy teeth that neighbor the person’s dental gap. Once in place, the pontic fills the space left by a missing tooth or teeth.
Am I a Candidate for a Fixed Bridge?
Are you missing one or several consecutive missing teeth? Then you are likely a good candidate for a fixed dental bridge! The most important requirements to be able to receive a dental bridge are:
- You must be in reasonably good health
- You must have healthy gums
- You must have natural teeth strong enough to support the abutment crowns of a dental bridge
The best way to learn if you are a candidate for a fixed dental bridge is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Nawrocki. He will be able to carefully evaluate your teeth, gums and other oral structures and recommend the best route to restoring your smile.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges provide a wide range of cosmetic and oral health benefits, such as:
- Natural Appearance – Typically made out of porcelain, dental bridges blend in extremely well with surrounding natural teeth. Most people you interact with will not even notice that you have a dental prosthetic.
- Durability – A fixed dental bridge usually lasts for around 10 years before it needs to be replaced, but can often last even longer with proper care.
- Prevents Dental Drift – Although teeth seem to be firmly stuck in place, they can often drift over time into the space left by a missing tooth and cause bite problems. A fixed bridge can prevent dental drift from occurring.
- Restored Dental Function – Fixed bridges are a sturdy tooth replacement solution that allows you to enjoy all your favorite snacks and meals with minimal worry.
How Do I Care for a Fixed Bridge?
Although dental bridges cannot get cavities, the teeth underneath a bridge are still susceptible to decay. Tiny bits of food debris and bacteria can accumulate at the bottom of the bridge near the abutment teeth and cause cavities to form. For this reason, if you have a dental bridge, it is very important that you continue to practice excellent oral hygiene at home.
To prevent tooth decay and ensure your dental bridge lasts as long as possible, be sure to brush your teeth twice a day for a full two minutes each time, paying special attention around the gumline of your bridge. Use a special hygiene aid such as a floss threader, proxy brush or oral irrigator to clean underneath the bridge. All of these items can usually be found at your local pharmacy. Finally, swish vigorously with an alcohol-free anti-bacterial mouthwash to wash away any lingering debris or bacteria.